I’ve finished uploading a new course for all members. You will find it here: Sourdough Bread Baking 102 – Exploration
Both monthly and yearly members have access to it immediately.
I decided to make this course after being asked many questions behind the “why” of bread baking. I am always exploring the “why” of baking so I thought I would share with you the fun I’ve had experimenting. This course would be a good one to follow “Sourdough Bread Baking 101” course and it is aimed at beginning and intermediate sourdough bakers.
The course covers:
- Exploring protein quality in flour. This shows an easy test to see if your flour is suitable for bread baking. After the test we will use our test doughs to bake up a loaf of bread, so depending upon the flour your testing everyone’s loaf will turn out different.
- Gluten washing – see how to extract gluten from flour. See how it looks and performs, also see how the starch looks.
- Recovering from a mistake. I made a huge mistake when I was doing one of the experiments, so instead of ditching the experiments, we explore how to recover from a mistake and we make beautiful Ciabatta bread.
- All purpose flour VS bread flour. In this experiment we explore the differences between all purpose flour and bread flour. We’ll use three experiments and do a higher hydration each time. You might be surprised at the outcome.
- With the last iteration of the comparison loaves, we will use a high quality bread flour and a double hydration to bake up an 88% hydration loaf.
- The last thing we will look at is the life cycle of a sourdough starter from feeding to it’s death. We’ll also make pancakes from the discard!
We are going to have a lot of fun! So join me in this exploration of sourdough baking!
If you are not a member and would like to see what online sourdough courses are available to non members visit here: https://northwestsourdough.com