Teresa L Greenway All rights reserved worldwide Jan 2018.
This is the test loaf formula used in the live series, “Make Your Own Sourdough Starter With Me!” I baked this loaf on day 12. You can find the whole series HERE. You can find just the test loaf HERE.
Feed your starter in the early morning at 8-9:00 am and mix dough later in the afternoon around 3:00 pm. I used a hybrid starter made using a 50/50 mix of all purpose flour and freshly ground hard white wheat flour.
- 120 grams vigorous sourdough starter at 100% hydration
- 250 grams water
- 400 grams bread flour (my flour is 12% protein level)
- 9 grams sea salt
779 grams dough at 67% hydration (enough for one loaf)
- Feed starter within 6-8 hours of mixing dough.
- At around 3-4:00 pm mix dough.
- Fold once each hour over the next four hours bulk ferment.
- Rest dough for 30 minutes.
- Pre-shape dough.
- Bench rest dough for 15 minutes.
- Final shape dough.
- Place in floured banneton and cover with a plastic bag.
- Refrigerate over night for 10-12 hours.
- Final proof dough until ready (mine took about 2.5 hours)
- I final proofed at 74F/23C and then 76F/24C for the last hour in my proofer.
- Pre-heat oven and oven stone (or Dutch oven) about one hour before baking at 480F/248C
- Score loaf and place it in on the baking stone or into Dutch oven.
- Mist the dough with water and place a lid over it.
- Bake for 14 minutes and then remove the lid.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes more until nicely brown or internal temperature reaches 205-210F/96-98C
- Remove dough carefully and let cool on a cooling grate.